Application for Transportation for the 2023-2024 School Year for Private and Parochial Schools. Complete a new application for each student. APPLICATION MUST BE FILED BY APRIL 1, 2023.
Solicitud de Transportación Escolar para Escuelas Privadas y Religiosas para el Año Escolar del 2023-2024. Llene una solicitud para cada estudiante. LA SOLICITUD DEBE DE SER ENTREGADA EN O ANTES DEL 1 DE ABRIL DEL 2023.
If you are having trouble completing the application online, you can download the document HERE / Si tiene problemas para completar la solicitud en línea, puede descargar el documento AQUÍ.
Private School Transportation
April 1, 2023 is the deadline to file transportation requests for children attending private or parochial school in the 2023-2024 school year. The Roosevelt Union Free School District provides transportation to non-public school students living within the District, providing:
- The student will have reached age five by December 1, 2023.
- Elementary students live a minimum of 2 miles from the school they will be attending, and secondary children live a minimum of 3 miles.
- The maximum distance any child will be transported is 15 miles, measured by the nearest available route from home to school.
- Even if a child has yet to be accepted to a school of choice, a transportation request form must be filed with the Roosevelt UFSD Transportation Office by the state-mandated April 1, 2023 deadline.
- Transportation request forms must be filed yearly, even if transportation service is currently being provided.
- Students must be registered in Central Registration before transportation is approved.
- No late requests will be granted, except for families who move into the District after the April 1st deadline. If you move into the District after the April 1, 2023 deadline, you will have 30 days to register in Central Registration for transportation.
- No late buses will be provided for afterschool activities.
- No request for change in transportation, which incurs additional cost to the District, will be honored after April 1, 2023.
- Anyone who has a question may contact Ms. Palmer at 516 345-7072 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bus Safety Drills
Section 3623 of the State Education Law and Revised Title 8, Chapter II, Subchapter J, Section 156.3(f) of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education require that school districts conduct at least three school bus drills per school year:
- The first during the first week of the fall term.
- The second between November 1 and December 31.
- The third between March 1 and April 30.
The following sections provide further details on conducting school bus safety drills:
- 1.1 Section 3623 of the State Education Department and Revised Section 156.3(f) of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education require drills on school buses, including practice and instruction in the location, use and operation of the emergency door, fire extinguishers, first-aid equipment, and windows as a means of escape in case of fire or accident.
- 1.1.1 Drills shall also include instructions on safe entering and exiting procedures with specific emphasis on when and how to approach, board, disembark, and move away from the bus after disembarking.
- 1.1.2 Each drill shall include specific instructions for pupils to advance at least ten (10) feet in front of the bus before crossing the highway after disembarking. Most importantly, after disembarking on New York City streets, pupils are to advance to the corner and a sufficient distance to make eye contact with the driver, before attempting to cautiously cross the street at the intersection.
- 1.1.3 Each drill shall emphasize specific hazards encountered by children during snow, ice, rain, and other inclement weather, including, but not necessarily limited to, conditions where the driver has poor visibility, reduced vehicular control, and/or reduced hearing.
- 1.1.4 All such drills shall include instructions on the importance of orderly conduct by all school bus passengers with specific emphasis given to student discipline, rules, and regulations promulgated by the Board of Education.
- 1.2 School bus drill instruction and the conduct of such drills shall be given by teachers.
- 1.3 While all pupils are required to participate in these drills, whether or not they are transported to school by bus, classroom instruction covering the content of drills may be provided as an option for those pupils who use buses only for field trips.
- 1.4 No drills should be conducted when buses are on routes.