Parent Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
Parents’ Bill of Rights Regarding Data Privacy and Security
Parents and guardians of students attending school in the Roosevelt Union Free School District are advised that they have the following rights with regard to student data:
- Student data will not be released or sold by the District for commercial purposes.
- A parent or guardian has the right to inspect and review the complete contents of his or her child’s education record.
- State and Federal law protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information. The District utilizes the following safeguards to protect personally identifiable information: encryption software, password security with secret question and answer, password protection through strict requirements (Ex: use of a combination of numbers, upper and lower case letters, symbols, and length).
- A list of all student data elements collected by New York State is available for public review at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sir/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx. The list may also be made available by writing to: Office of Information and Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
- Parents and guardians have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be addressed to Ms. Michele Van Eyken,
Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education at (516) 345-7017/7006, email@example.com , 240 Denton Place, Roosevelt, New York 11575.
This Bill of Rights will be included with every contract entered into by the District with an outside contractor if the contractor will receive student data or teacher or principal data. This Bill of Rights will be supplemented to include information about each contract that the District enters into with an outside contractor receiving confidential student data or teacher or principal data, including the exclusive purpose(s) for which the data will be used, how the contractor will ensure confidentiality and data protection and security requirements, the date of expiration of the contract and what happens to the data upon the expiration of the contract, if and how the accuracy of the data collected can be challenged, where the data will be stored and the security protections that will be taken.